Seversky P-35A

The P-35, one of the forerunners of the Republic P-47, was the first single-seat, all-metal pursuit plane with retractable landing gear and enclosed cockpit to go into regular service with the U.S. Army Air Corps. The Army accepted 76 P-35s in 1937-38 and assigned 75 to the 1st Pursuit Group Selfridge Field, Michigan.

The aircraft pictured here, the only known surviving P-35A, served with the 94th Pursuit Squadron at Selfridge Field. It was restored by maintenance personnel of the 133rd Tactical Airlift Wing, Minnesota ANG,  with assistance from students of the Minneapolis Vocational Institute.

Click on the thumbnail below to view larger images.

Return to the main walkaround page.